Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Queen of Procrastination

I know that most everyone procrastinates from time to time, some more than others. But I have got it down to a science. When I was a senior in high school, I was voted class procrastinator. And in the many years since then, I have really honed my procrastinating skills. So tonight I present to you: a case study in procrastination.

A few weeks back, I had a ton of work to do. I had housework and work work. Laundry, dishes, toys everywhere, documents to write, emails to send, etc. So what did I decide to do? Create myself a blog, of course! It wasn't very well thought out. I kind of did it on a whim. As a result, I'm probably going to spend the next year having to fix up my spur of the moment blog since I didn't really think it through first. But overall, I've been diggin' being a blogger. (That's right, I'm a blogger now.) Blogging is cool, yo'. (Does yo have an apostrophe?)

Then, in the last week or so, work has been even crazier. So I come home and I do even less housework because, dude, I've been working hard all day. So now I'm sitting here on my couch with my laptop on my lap. (Duh!) But by now my blog is two months old and has a whopping 19 posts. And it is SOOOO two months ago. Meaning it's is no longer a method to procrastinate, it is now the thing I'm procrastinating on.

Now even though I haven't written a blog post in over a week, I decided that I would spend my time tonight.... creating a Facebook fan page for myself! (Of course!) I've got a whopping 19 followers. They've been clamoring for me to have a presence on Facebook. And by clamoring, I mean that no one has mentioned it. But all the other cool blogs have Facebook fan pages, so I wanted one, too. And it gave me an excuse to not write a post tonight because I was busy doing something important to develop my blog. Yeah, yeah. I know it doesn't do any good to develop a blog fan base if your blog doesn't have posts. What's your point? I have a fan page! Whee! New shiny toy!

So once I created the Facebook fan page, it was late, meaning I really should have gone to bed. But that, of course, means that I did not go to bed. Instead I decided to write this blog post about my new Facebook fan page. Yeah! And now I'm at the point where I would put a link to that fan page right here (insert link here), but whoa! WTH? I can't get a URL for my fan page until I have 25 fans. 25??? Geez, Facebook! I only have 19 followers. Such a high bar! Ah well.  Here's the link to the Rubyspikes info page.

And now my work here is done. I avoided writing a blog post by creating a fan page for myself, then avoided going to bed by writing a blog post about the fan page. And now that I REALLY should go to bed, I think I will go Like myself on Facebook. And when I'm done, maybe I'll come back and write a comment on this post. Then maybe I'll Tweet about the post and about the new fan page...

5 comments:

Hen Jen said...

we might be soul-sisters! Procrastination is indeed my game..I think starting a blog was the one thing that forever doomed my mediocre housekeeping into the bad-housekeeping realm. May God have mercy on your soul...

by the way, I love your rubyspikes avatar!

OakParkGirl said...

Well, I just doubled your fan base :p Not sure why you need a facebook site when you have a blog though... Are you going to post things to both places? Maybe want to find a snazzy tool to help you manage all that. Soon you'll end up like me with multiple LinkedIn profiles, 3 Facebook profiles, 3 blogs and 3 Twitter accounts. Insanity :p

30on...Mom! said...

@ Hen Jen..."starting a blog was the one that that forever doomed my mediocre housekeeping..." (for me) that and having children :D

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. If you are the queen, can I be the princess of procrastination?

The whole FB thing is crap. Just crap. Maybe thats because I only have 4 likes.

Off to FB to find your page!

rubyspikes said...

So y'all commented on my blog about 13 days ago. So I'm just getting around to posting a reply comment. Seems fitting. But I've got threaded comments now! Now I'll never procrastinate again. Oh wait.... what's that shiny object over there... BRB...

Post a Comment